10.18.2009

Mi Cumpleaños

My second day in the apartment was my 23rd birthday. Unfortunately, I had to wake up at 5:30am and meet with Cerena and Suzanne to apply for our residency permits. It was a terrible experience! First, we went to the address CIEE gave us and waited until the Extranjería opened at 9:00. When we went inside, we found out that we were not in the right place. We were then sent to the building around the corner, but this was also the wrong place. Finally, a man working in the 2nd building sent us to the Policía (on other side of the city) in Plaza los Campos, which was the correct place. We waited in line for a half hour and turned in our necessary forms to get our residency permits, which will be ready in 1 month.

And that is how my birthday began. After the Policía, we stopped by Paz’s store to say hi and then went to see Paco at the frutería. I came home to find a gift from Paz—a pair of beautiful silver hoop earings from her store. She is so sweet! That night, we went for tapas at a taberna called La Juliana and it was fantastic. Suzanne knows one of the waiters—José. We spent almost 4 hours there drinking tinto de verano, eating delicious tapas, and playing to adorable Spanish girls (daughters of one of the restaurant owners). I got home around 1:00am and went to sleep early (at least for Spain).

I spent Friday with Cerena and Suzanne walking through the Albayzín. We walked up to the Mirador San Nicolás and had kebabs for lunch before siesta. That night I didn’t do anything—I was tired and still adjusting to the Spanish schedule and Spanish way of life.

Saturday night I “went out” (as the Spaniard’s do) for my first time in Granada. We started the night at a few tapas bars with Cerena, Suzanne, Alberto (Suzanne’s roommate), and some of Alberto’s friends—David, Sergio, and José. After La Juliana (which has become a tradition), we went to another tapas bar called Los Grifos—a really cool tapas place. Then went to a concert to see a Spanish rock-pop group called Toulous (they are from Granada). And after? We went to a place called La Percha—a bar/discoteca that plays all 80’s music, which Suzanne and I loved! The last place we went was a popular discoteca called Vogue. This, apparently, is a typical weekend night in Spain. So, my 23rd birthday weekend was amazing and unforgettable, and weekend that would not have made sense to most American's. The truth is we didn’t really do much that night. We had a few tinto de veranos, had good conversation, danced a little, and enjoyed spending a night among new friends.
(Sidenote: When my roommate came home from work on Friday night and saw that I was home, she said, “What are you doing here? It’s a Friday night in Spain!”).

.....................................................................................

Mi segundo día en el piso era mi cumpleaños, y desafortunadamente me levanté a las 5’30 de la mañana y quedé con Cerena y Suzanne para solicitarnos para nuestros permisos de residencias. Qué horrible fue esa experiencia. Primero fuimos al lugar donde CIEE nos dijo que debemos ir y esperamos hasta que abrió a las 9’00. Pero cuando entramos, descubrimos que eso no era el lugar correcto. Después, fuimos a otro edificio a ver si era el lugar correcto, pero tampoco fue ese edificio. Finalmente, un hombre nos mandó a la Policía (al otro lado de la ciudad) en la Plaza los Campos. Por fin estábamos en el lugar correcto. Esperamos en cola por 30 minutos y entregamos todas las formas.

Y así empezó mi cumple. Después, pasamos por la tienda de Paz para saludarle y también pasamos por la Frutería de Paco. Regresé a casa y encontré un regalo que Paz me dejó—unos aretes preciosas de su tienda. ¡Qué simpática es ella! Por la noche, fuimos de tapeo. Fuimos a un bar de tapas que se llama La Juliana (C/Arrabial) y fue fantástico. Suzanne conoce a uno de los camareros—José. Pasamos casi cuatro horas bebiendo tinto de verano, comiendo tapas muy ricas, y jugando con 2 niñas lindísimas (hijas del dueño del restaurante). Regresé sobre la una y me acosté temprano (para España).

El viernes quedé con Cerena y Suzanne y andamos por el Albayzín. Pasamos un rato al Mirador San Nicolás y después comimos kebabs para la comida. No hice nada esa noche—estaba cansada y todavía estaba acostumbrándome al horario y a la vida española.

El sábado salí de marcha por primera vez en Granada. Empezábamos la noche a unos bares de tapa con Cerena, Suzanne, Alberto (el compañero de piso de Suzanne), y unos amigos de Alberto—David, Sergio (Tercio), José, y Fernando. Después de La Juliana (que ya es una tradición), fuimos a otro bar que se llama Los Grifos—un bar de tapas muy chulo. Quedamos allí hasta las doce, y luego fuimos a un concierto para ver un grupo de pop-rock que se llama Toulous (son de Granada). ¿Y después? Qué sorpresa, fuimos a otro bar—La Percha, que es más como una mezcla entre un bar y un club que toca la música de los años 80. A Suzanne y yo nos encantaba la Percha y la música. El último lugar que fuimos aquella noche fue una discoteca muy popular que se llama Vogue. Nunca tendría una noche así en los EE.UU—nunca. Pero aquí, es normal. (Sidenote: El viernes por la noche cuando mi compañera de piso regresé del trabajo y me vio, me dijo, “¿Y qué haces aquí? ¡Es viernes por la noche en España!”). La verdad es que no hicimos nada en especial—tomamos algunas bebidas, hablamos, bailamos un poco, y disfrutamos de estar con amigos.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am 28 years old and learning to live my life with the daily struggles of mental illness. My illnesses are a significant part of my life, but they are not all that I am. I am a teacher, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend, too. I'm starting this blog to chronicle my passions, goals, challenges and victories. I want to remind myself that I have come through many seemingly impossible situations, and I will continue to fights for the experiences like the ones I write about in this blog.