I love Christmas time—it’s just my favorite time of the year. The world really does change at Christmas. Everything is brighter and happier…magical. The last few days have been truly exceptional here in Granada for reasons all having to do with Christmas.
I started getting in the Christmas mode about a month ago which I started listening to Christmas carols. I haven’t stopped since and I still can’t get enough of them. I love the joy and meaning in Christmas carols. There is a Christmas carol to describe every single feeling that I feel and thought that I think during the Christmas season—“There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays”/”I’ll Be Home for Christmas” for when I think about coming home for Christmas; “Jingle Bell Rock” for when I’m in the decorating mood; “The Christmas Song” for when I want to curl up by the fireplace on Christmas Eve at home; “Jingle Bells”/”We Wish You a Merry Christmas” for when I’m thinking about how adorable my Spanish students are and how they love to sing these two songs; “Let it Snow” for when the weather turns cold and it does actually snow; “Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time” for when I want to reminisce about the year Katie and I started listening to Christmas music the day after Halloween senior year of college; “Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas” when I’m remembering all of those who can’t be with us on Christmas; and “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” when I think about how magical Christmas really is.
Monday, though, is when I truly started to feel the joy of Christmas. Simply put in the words of Adrian, one of my 4 year olds, Monday “was the best day ever!” Well Adri, I am in complete and total agreement—it definitely was one of the best days ever. Now, I know what you’re all thinking—“Kelly says every day is the ‘best day ever’, just like every city she visits is her ‘favorite city ever’!” Yesterday was special though, because I received one of the greatest presents I could ask for—snow. I really do love snow! Maybe this is because I’ve lived in California (i.e. without snow) my entire life, or maybe it’s because I associate snow with Christmas despite the fact that I’ve never actually seen it snow on Christmas. I can’t explain why I love snow so much, but when it snows, I feel like I’m witnessing a beautiful and miraculous moment.
I was in the middle of explaining the tradition of leaving milk and cookies for Santa to my 3rd graders when it started to snow and (I know this is cliché, but it’s true!) I lit up like a kid in a candy store. All weekend long I had been a little sad about missing the snow at St. Mary’s last weekend and hoping and praying that it would snow here, not really believing it would. (I guess this is God’s way of saying, “Don’t doubt my ability to answer your prayers!”). I couldn’t believe it was snowing! I ran downstairs to grab my camera and went outside in the 2°C weather. I spent the next hour in the snow enjoying my “present,” taking pictures, making a mini snowman, and just smiling, absolutely in awe of what I was seeing.
Monday was also one of those inspiring teaching days when your students remind you of why you became a teacher in the first place. We have been doing Christmas activities all week at school and my students are having so much fun! I started Monday in my 3rd grade science class and we spent the class talking about American Christmas traditions and looking at some of my Christmas pictures from years past. Then I went to my 5 year old classroom and taught them “Jingle Bells.” Then I spent some time with my 5th graders and I taught them how to make paper snowflakes. They were extremely creative—snowflake earrings and snowflake Santa beards, were just two of the many ideas my students had! My first graders were learning a rap about winter clothes and we made up a hilarious dance to go with the song. My favorite Christmas project, though, was making stockings with my 2nd graders. I asked the students to bring the necessary materials (red and white felt, and cotton balls and sequence for decorating) and even my normally unenthusiastic German student brought everything! I’ve never seen my students so excited—they had tons of fun making and decorating their stockings!
After school on Monday was the lighting ceremony of all of the Christmas lights and decorations throughout the city. Granada is so festive at Christmas time—it makes me feel like I’m at home. When I show people pictures of my house at Christmas time to my Spanish friends and colleagues, they can’t believe how much we decorate our house of Christmas, especially since more people don’t decorate at all for Christmas here. I realize that not everyone decorates as much as we do for Christmas, but I love that we (well, this year my mom, dad, and Jeff) decorate as much as we do. It’s tradition, and I’m always proud and excited to show people our house at Christmas time. Granada feels like this to me. There are Christmas lights and decorations on almost every street in Granada and there are amazing and elaborate “Belenes” (Nativity scenes) in every major plaza. Everytime I walk outside, it just feels Christmassy.
I will be leaving Granada Christmas and heading home for California Christmas in less than 72 hours. Last night, Cerena and I made Christmas cookies (without measuring cups!), and homemade frosting. Then we went out for what were likely our last tapas this year. Tonight, Cerena’s roommates’ are having a Christmas party—the last Spanish Christmas hurrah before we all part our separate ways for the holidays. It’s a potluck, which in Spanish is called, “Fiesta de traje” (‘traje’ in Spanish means ‘I brought,’ and they call it this because when everyone arrives, they all say the same thing: ‘Traje…’ y ‘Traje…’). I’m excited for tonight, but not quite prepared to leave Granada yet, even if it is only for a week and a half. I will be packing all day tomorrow, the I am heading to Madrid on Sunday. I leave for the airport Monday morning!
More updates to come from my adventures in Rome, Madrid (2 months ago!), my weekend in the Sierra Nevada, and my weekend in a country house celebrating a Spanish friend’s 30th birthday! Happy holidays everyone—I hope you are all enjoying the Christmas season!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
About Me
- Kel
- I am 28 years old and learning to live my life with the daily struggles of mental illness. My illnesses are a significant part of my life, but they are not all that I am. I am a teacher, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend, too. I'm starting this blog to chronicle my passions, goals, challenges and victories. I want to remind myself that I have come through many seemingly impossible situations, and I will continue to fights for the experiences like the ones I write about in this blog.
1 comment:
I just love your blogs!! You know what is so funny...I just sent an email to one of the consecrated who is currently in Madrid and I said...I just love Christmas...then I open your blog and you start with the same sentiment!! Tee hee...I just love that! Love you, Mom
Post a Comment